Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Great Crashing Computer

Ok. So I bought a Dell. What in the world could possess me to do that? Well, I have never really heard bad things about them to be honest with you, I read all the reviews. I thought I researched it well, I looked into what size of processor I wanted, memory and hard drive too. I was prepared. So, a year ago, with Todd's blessing and my credit card in hand I called Dell, and ordered a really nice computer. It's big, red and fabulous. Well, about a month after I got it, the hard drive crashed. Then, within the last year, my computer has crashed or needed to have a total windows re installation done 5 times. Sunday, there was an error saying that the NTLDR was missing. That means something in computer talk that the hard drive doesn't recognize something that it needs to to boot up. So, after an hour on the phone with a lady on Sunday and 3 hours with some guy last night, my computer is still not working. The guy that worked on it last night with me didn't leave 1 note. Not one. Lovely huh. So the guy tonight, had me run several tests to see what was faulty and needs replaced. He was so nice and even through his frustration at the lack of knowledge of last night's events, he was pleasant and so helpful. Hopefully after tonight, I will be able to figure out what the heck is wrong and it can be fixed. Until then, I feel very unplugged. I am stealing Todd's computer right now, but he's playing the XBOX so I don't think he really minds. Still I miss my computer and all of the joy it brings me. Anyway, I am sitting here thinking. Really, why did I buy a Dell? I think I should've got and Apple. I don't know. There's probably the same kinds of issues with them and I have to say the Dell tech team, when you can understand them, seem to be helpful. And I have a kick ass warranty. Still, If I have to use it (the warranty) every few months, is it really worth it? I guess there's not much I can do about this now. Sorry to think out loud.....on my blog, I'm just frustrated. Anyone have an opinion on this?

3 comments:

Joe, Mandy, Lindsay, & Aubrey said...

So I read this, and read that you have a warranty, and if it was me I would demand sending it back to them, they can wipe it all out, figure it out, and FIX IT, and not send it back until it's fixed, and if they can't fix it then dang it they have to send you a new computer. Seriously I am so onery, that is ridiculous that it is having so many problems. :( I'm sorry! Wish I could be of more help but I am clueless. :(

Nicole said...

Um...seems to me that the Dells came pretty highly recommended by a friend whose privacy shall be protected by remaining unnamed! AHEM!!

Along the same lines as what Mandy said, your warranty should allow you to replace your machine completely. I've had at least three Dells and have NEVER had the number of problems you've had! THAT SAID! I'm not completely convinced that it's not Windows Vista and not the machine! Vista is just the pits and I hear so much bad about it! If it were me, I'd call Dell and talk about getting a new machine (you'd have to re-up the warranty, I b'lieve) AND seeing if they'd put XP on it instead of Vista! INSIST!

One other note! I know you have that computer stand thingy, but just make sure you're not putting your laptop on a soft surface where it can't "breathe" and cool itself off. Once I stopped putting my laptop on the couch when I wasn't using it, it hasn't crashed since (not that it crashed a LOT, but I did have more than is "normal").

Melea said...

I tried to get a new computer. I have tried the last few times I had crashes. I was told, that they have to replace certian things because the rest of the computer is fine. So, I am stuck with this one. I don't really know what else to to....Maybe, by the time I get a new computer....I could work for Dell on fixing crashed computers, because I'll have so much experience. That would be great. O' and my warrenty is good through 2011.