I was introduced to the Fly Lady when I was pregnant with Lily. My friend Keri, lent me the book. I think she got it from my other friend Angie. Anyway, the main rule is to keep your sink so clean you can see your reflection. And making sure your kitchen is clean, especially when you go to bed. I cannot tell you how much this impacted my life. Since I first read the book, my kitchen is almost always clean before I go to bed. It became an obsession for me. There is also another big rule to get up in the morning, shower and get ready for the day, down to the shoes. Well, we all know I don't enforce or even remotely stick to that one. I do get up everyday and shower, but then I put on a clean night gown:) And rarely EVER do I wear shoes, little lone wear them all day. My main shoes year round are flip flops and in the winter, when it gets really snowy, I have crocks ( I know, they are ugly) with a furry lining in them. I call them my snow boots.
There is also the decluttering thing, which is the bases of a clean house. She uses the acronym C.H.A.O.S. Can't have anyone over syndrome. And that is so true. Everything should have it's place. That process is done in 15 minute cleaning sessions everyday. And every week you concentrate on a different area of your house. If you don't love it and it doesn't bring you joy, your either throw it away, sell it, or donate it. Another thing is, keep your 'hot spots' cleaned off. These are the spots in your home where everything seems to land. Our has always been our island. I feel like I am constantly cleaning it. The other thing she stresses is to only 'clean' your house for 1 hour, once a week. I haven't been able to follow this rule at all. I do subject my kids to 'deep cleaning Saturdays' every weekend. But all in all, think I spend about 2 hours through out the day cleaning, plus what the kids do when they do their chores in the evening. I think everything needs a little tweeking when you have a huge family and I have no idea how many kids the Fly Lady has. There are a few more rules or suggestions, but I think those are the basic things I follow. Now, while I am still on my soapbox talking to all of you, I must tell you that my house is rarely spotless. There are books, Lego's, baby dolls, Batman figures, lightsabers, Barbies, crayons and many other things strown about my house most of the awake hours of the day. The Fly Lady is just a great way for me to manage my household without being overwhelmed and insane.
2 comments:
Thank you for sharing the Fly Lady. It is amazing how fast stuff can gather on any flat surface and how easy is becomes overwhelming. You are truly amazing and hope you know how much we love you.
I used to do flylady many years ago. Your post has inspired me to start doing it again so I have a chaos free life. I'm reading on the flylady website right now :) thanks for posting this, I love flylady!
Post a Comment