So, there comes a time in every parents life where we have to talk to our kids about certain life issues. Well, mine and Todd's came last Sunday, when at the dinner table, Todd was, for some crazy reason, showing the kids the funniest ways to flip people off. I know it isn't the best topic to discuss at the dinner table but what do you do. Anyway, Spencer started showing us his own vast knowledge of certain hand motions (indicating sex, ie..one hand make a girl part and the the other hand makes a boy part.) Well, Todd and I immediately had to shut that down because there are 3 younger sibling sitting at the table that are definitely not old
enough to NEED to know what that means. So we asked or more like told Spencer to go to his room and continue to share his vast knowledge on the subject on this topic. It turns out, he knew more than we realized. We filled in the gaps and asked him where he learned all of this, come to find out, it was one of the more 'religious' kids that taught him most of it. GGRRREEAAATTT. So, anyway, in saying all of this, Todd and I have always decided that the best way to talk about most subjects with our kids is through a very open and honest dialogue of conversation. Sex is a big one for us to keep open too. We want them to feel comfortable talking to us about the things they are thinking and/or going through. We want our kids to be knowledgeable and safe. Because while in a perfect world they would find the one and only person they are meant to be with and (I would have some say:) on their wedding night (after a college education) Todd and I would finally tell them all about the Bird's and the Bee's, but that is so not going to happen. Anyway, Spencer being Spencer, asked a few questions that were minor and an yet important and then continued tormenting his little brother. (The phrase 'ugly like your butt' seems to be a popular choice of insult around here. Lovely! ) And he hasn't asked about much else. I'm sure that the time will come where we will be getting a ton of questions, but for now, his basic knowledge of things seems to satisfy him. And he seems a little more grown up than last week:(But Knowledge is Power. Right??!?!?!?

1 comment:
STOP!! It's not that time yet, right?! But since you already had it will you come have it with MaShayla because I am so not ready for it!!!!
O and can I guess which kid was sharing his knowledge?!! lol
Post a Comment