Sunday, September 28, 2008

Confessions of a Slacker Mom

I thought I would do a little confessional about the kind of Mom I REALLY am.

1. Our family eats things that comes from a can or is prepackaged way to frequently. I have a saying that Adam only eats hot dogs or things that come from can. If I make it, he hates it. The funny thing is, is that I really do like to cook. But sometimes the martyr in me is crushed when there is constant complaining about what I have fixed. (Adam will ask what we are going to have for dinner and I'll say "Pork Chops with a side of bitchin' and whining." Yummo!) Adam isn't the only child that complains, but he is the worst. Plus, I'm not a short order cook, I don't make one thing for our family and another for whoever doesn't like the food. You either eat what I cook or you don't eat. I'm not McDonald's.

2. I spend a lot of time blogging/shopping/surfing on my computer. I should seriously get paid for how much time I spend on here.

3. I love to sleep in. When Todd is home, he is always the person that gets up with the kids in the morning. He always says "Think of the children." I am just not a morning person. Once I'm up I do fine, but dragging me out of bed brings out the teenager in me. I always tell Todd "Just a few more minutes."

4. I yell way to frequently and for sometimes about things that aren't that important. I feel like unless I'm screaming, my kids cannot hear the words that come out of my mouth. And I have 2 hot button moments where I feel like it's the worst. About 5 minutes before we go somewhere and the kids' bedtime. I haven't quite figured out why my anxiety is so high at these times but it is. Seriously something I need to work on.

5. My house is never spotless. I go in spurts of it being really clean, other times I don't really care if it's cluttered. As long as the floor is vacuumed and the dishes are done, who cares if there is something sticky on the counters. This has been a tough one for me to grow comfortable with. I think there is always someone who is going to think your house isn't as clean as it should be, but I am now comfortable saying "BUGGER OFF, I don't give a rats ass what you think."

6. I HATE to go grocery shopping. I just hate it. Our cupboards will be bare and the fridge will be totally empty before I go shopping. By that time, we buy out Walmart and have like 2 carts full of groceries. Plus, I have a splash of my Nana in me where I have to stock up on certain items, i.e... toilet paper, paper towels,...

7. I love to be in my nightgown. I have mentioned this before but it's one of my slacker traits. If I'm home for a while, I'm change out of my 'street' clothes and into my nightgown as soon as I can. And if I'm going to be home all day, I just don't even bother getting dressed, I'll shower and put on a clean nightgown.

So in saying all of this, I know I'm a fabulous Mom. I absolutely love and adore my babies and my husband. But there is ALWAYS room for improvement. And from one Mom to many others, don't be so hard on yourself. Imperfection is a great trait to have.

3 comments:

Misty said...

OOOO so many things there sound like me! LOL!!

Steph said...

Very many and much like me also. After my most recent post, I think I needed this...especially the admonishment at the end. Yes, we are all imperfect and I need to embrace that! :) Thanks!

Oh, and Happy happy birthday to your sweet Sara! She is just beautiful!

Brian and Becca Moore said...

I hate to get out of bed too, and grocery shopping is the worst. It's so nice to hear someone else's imperfections,makes you realize it's all okay! Oh and my counters are sticky too. ;)