
Today was a fire safety day for Lily at Miss Holly's. The local Fire Department has a 'Freddy the Firetruck' program for kids. There's a little fire truck that sings to the kids and helps them learn about what to do if there is a fire. The kids are so cute. Lily just stood there and stared at the little truck who seemed to talk to the fireman that was there.

The fireman showed the kids what he would look like if he had to come in their rooms to rescue them. Most of the kids looked a little scared at first but eventually warmed up to seeing him in all his gear and they all gathered around him to touch his helmet. The fireman also taught the kids about 'Stop, Drop and Roll', what to do if there you were to get a burn and the ever important 911 phone call (to which he added that you only call 911 if it's an emergency.) That was funny. I think there might be lots of little kids' false calls.

Look at Miss Lil' sitting up in the firetruck. She was so excited. Most the kids wanted to get up there and see what it was like so they only got a few seconds per kid. There were big smiles everywhere. The kids loved that part.

So anyway, through out the morning I realized that we, as a family, do not have much of an emergency escape plan and we sure as hell don't practice one. I have not taught my kids very much fire safety except for the obsessive hovering when they are around fire or anything that can cause a fire. We don't have a 'meeting' place, we actually have a whole lot of nothing in the way of being prepared. I feel like I've totally dropped the ball on this one. I am going to try harder and get organized. My kids should know so much more than they do. Cuz as we all know life has a way of throwing crazy curve balls at us. Whether we hear it or not!
No comments:
Post a Comment