Passion. It is described as 'any powerful or compelling emotion or feeling.' When I hear the word passion, I think about the things that I believe in strongly or the desire to umm... shall we say 'get busy'. (Close your eyes if you are one of my brothers.) I don't know if my loved ones would describe me as passionate. There are a few things that I believe in strongly, but for the most part I think people are and should be allowed to think for themselves. These are a few of the things I am passionate about.
1~ My Kids. I know I have said this 100 times but I really mean it. I have always wanted a big family. When I was little it was all I dreamed about. Getting married and having babies. How many I would have. What their names would be. How many boys and girls I would have. It's always been part of who I am. And I love newborns. There is NOTHING in the world like a newborn. How they smell and feel. And how they make me feel. There is no other love in the world like that. Spencer, Adam, Lily and Sara have made my life whole. They make me complete. I can't imagine a word like passion, without imagining my kids.
2~ My Husband. Todd. There aren't enough words to describe this amazing man that I get to call mine. I was a lost soul when I was a teenager. I never knew who really loved me or where I belonged in life. One night I prayed. I prayed my heart and soul out. I asked God for a guy. I guy who was a little order than me. Who was smart and calm. A guy who would love me. Who would want to be with me. Who would always believe in me. I don't know exactly the time frame, but it was fairly quickly, this wonderful guy, driving a little green car started coming to the Drive In. A friend told me that he only showed up when I was working. So pretty soon I started making his oreo shakes full of oreo's and his ice cream cones a foot tall. (He claims I am the reason for his diabetes.) Soon we were talking, and finally we went on a date. We have been inseparable from that point on. I am thankful everyday to God for answering this prayer. I have been blessed to be Todd's wife and share the passion we share.
3~ Tolerance. I know, I know. I preach and preach about this. But it's something I try very hard to live my life by. Todd and I try very hard to teach our kids about diversity and loving someone based on their soul, not on their outward appearance, race, creed or sexual orientation. It's hard sometimes to truely instill these values in your kids. There isn't a lot of diversity where I live. My kids don't get to experience any other cultures. But we are trying teach and instill tolerance for all others in our babies. Maybe they can help with weeding hate out of the world.
4~ Breastfeeding. This has been a big one for me. I love breastfeeding. I love the bonding experience you get to have with your babies. Plus there are so many benefits to nursing. I nursed Spencer until he was 10 1/2 months old and only stopped when I did because he got a really bad stomach virus and didn't eat much for almost 2 weeks. When he was feeling better he had no desire to nurse anymore:( Adam and Lily nursed until they were 2. I probably would've nursed them longer, but I ran out of milk. Sara is a nursing champ. I'm hoping to make it until 2 with her also, but if it goes longer then, well then, we'll keep on nursing. Now, when people know that I am still nursing, I get lots of strong opinions. Some people seem disgusted, others look at me like I'm insane, others say things like "Hopefully they'll stop before they go to Kindergarten!" People seriously say that. I just think 'whatever'. I love it. My babies love it. My checkbook loves it. And it's something only I get to share with my babies. It's a big deal to me that I get to do this and I am very passionate about it.
5~ My Country & Politics. I have always loved my country, politics and government. I was fascinated with it when I was in high school. I had a phenomenal teacher that taught me so much about it. Off and on through the last 10 years I would find an issue that I was passionate about, but it wasn't until after 9/11 and the Iraq and Afghanistan wars started that I really paid attention to what our government was doing. I started watching, reading and researching what was going on, what the government, especially what our President was doing. I was becoming more and more discontented with what was going on. My view of our President changed. My view of our government changed. I didn't like what I saw. So, I became passionate about politics. About the state of our country. How our country treated others. How the world viewed us. I became passionate about searching for who I thought would be the next President. And when I decided who I loved (I actually loved him from day 1) I set forth whole heartedly supporting him. Obama '08!
6~ Diversity of Religion. I was raised Mormon. Todd was raised with a basic belief in the bible, but no specific religion. As a child, I never really believed in all that I was being taught at church. I just didn't get it. As a grown up, I have learned to love all religions. Study and research all religions. I believe God (whomever he or she might be) is above all religions. That there is no 'true' religion. Just lots of different messengers that all have a message of true humanity. Love and kindness. And unfortunately, not all religions practice love and kindness. And some even practice hate and discrimination. So, Todd and I decided early on, to not choose a religion for our kids, but teach them the values that we hold dear and let them choose or not choose for themselves. (O' the opinions on that one.) Having my kids appreciate all religions is some thing I am very passionate about.
What are the things that you are passionate about? I would love comments telling what passion means to you, and what things you are passionate about. And please, feel free to 'let me have it' if you have an opinion about the things I am passionate about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm passionate about many of the same things...Most importantly the kids, hubby and breastfeeding!
I say do it until YOU think it's time to quit...or whenever...you go girl!
(Ryver isn't nursing anymore, but went longer than any of the others going 13 1/2 months...I wish it was longer, but they all weaned themselves! :( )
I used to be one of those people that thought breastfeeding past age one was wrong, well not wrong, weird I guess. I admire your dedication, and love your reasons why. I too loved breastfeeding and looking back would have enjoyed nursing mine longer than I did. You have always stood strong for what you believe in! Nurse until Kindergarten, why NOT? :)
Post a Comment