Wednesday, April 2, 2008
"Mom"???
Tonight my little Adam says "Mom, so & so thinks Buddha is fake. Is that true?" To which I reply "Seriously Son, he said that?" "Yup, he did." Came the reply. I just have to say really quick, our new 'Burb' has 4 'fish' on it. One is a Jesus fish (we teach our family about Christianity), one is a Buddha fish (we teach our family some of Buddha's teachings), another is an Evolve Fish (even though we are Christians, we do believe in the science of evolution AND the process of Creationism) and the other one is a Yoda fish (simply put, we believe in the Force). We have also displayed 2 magnets. One says "Tolerance" and the other says "Coexist". OK, that is the basis of spirituality what we try to teach our kids. Believe in many things, accept other cultures, enjoy spirituality. Embrace it. Well, when a comment like this is made, what do I say? How do I turn this into a learning experience? "Well Adam, I believe in this.......Tell me what you believe." By then he has forgotten about it and has moved on. But he is also my child who we sometimes refer to as the 'Bible Thumper'. He talks about "The Heavenly Lord" and has been known to pack a Bible around. I don't refer to God or Jesus as "The Heavenly Lord" nor do I pack a Bible around. It's just not my thing, but we are trying so hard to let our kids figure out THEIR spirituality all by themselves and as long as there is no disrespect, he can say and do whatever he believes (spiritually speaking). This does tend to be difficult when so many around him believe so strongly in a different path and critically speak their mind about it. I have learned, through many years of being around people with this mind set, you can not force religion, it has to be felt, whole heartedly. And I want to be open minded about it, letting my kids have their own experience with spirituality. I feel like this is going to be a huge challenge with many opportunities to face and work on my own spirituality while teaching my kids about tolerance and learning to coexist.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
BIBLE THUMPERS!
Oh Lord, tell me it was NOT mine on the rampage again??? First they spill the beans about Santa...I hope they weren't trying to convince Adam Buddha didn't exist??
Post a Comment